Tuesday, October 13, 2009

thankful

I just finished listening to Daniel read in his second-grade Bob Jones reading book.  Some Christian curriculum companies charge a lot of money and merely put Bible verses (in small print) on some of their pages.  I think it's rather disingenuous to sell that as Christian curriculum.

Bob Jones University Press does more than that.  A good portion of the stories in the reader are Christian stories, like today's Billy Sunday story.  It was about a little girl who went to a tent meeting with her father to hear Billy Sunday preach.  Her father told her about Billy Sunday's successful baseball career, and about how God had a special plan for Billy Sunday's life.  Listening to Billy Sunday that evening, the little girl was prompted to accept Christ as her Savior.

On their way home, her father assured her that God had a special plan for her life, just as He did for Billy Sunday's.  Daniel and I both had tears in our eyes by the end of the story.  And this isn't the first story that has moved us to tears.  My Daniel always looks up at me and smiles when he sees that the story of the day is a Christian story.

I am just so thankful to be homeschooling my children.  And thankful we chose Bob Jones for our curriculum!  My prayer is that we will always have the freedom to educate our own children, and point them toward their Savior.