Wednesday, September 23, 2009

turning over a new leaf

I've been a full-time stay-at-home mom for four years now.  Through those years, I've struggled.  But no more.  No more, my friends.  For I've learned the secret to success at this gig.  Get up three hours before your family awakens.  


Yes. I did it.  Twice.  The difference is immeasurable.  I've slept 9:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m.--leaving everything but the dinner dishes for the morning.  Being able to accomplish things, uninterrupted, has made me a new woman.  No more irritation spewing from my good-intentioned mommy self.  Although on the first day the baby woke twice during my early-morning tryst, it still worked.  I nursed her back to sleep and left her in the bed with Daddy.

The first day of school was Monday and despite my glorious schedule, everything went horribly--partly because Daniel has been mildly sick and in a horrendous mood.  But we've had smooth sailing since my new sleeping schedule commenced.  Of course I have little to no computer time, but I'll adjust.  And no, I no longer know what's going on in the world, but I'll put news gathering into the schedule somewhere.  If Glenn Beck plans a revolution, I need to know how to participate.  Mostly because I recently read about a homeschooled girl who was forced to attend public school in the aftermath of a messy divorce.  Her father thought she needed it (inter-faith parents who disagreed), and the New Hampshire court decided that her strict Christian faith needed to be balanced by learning about other views.   She was doing well academically and socially as a homeschooler, and she liked being homeschooled.    If such a thing can be forced in America, I'm ready for a revolution. We need it.  What happened to the Constitution?  

The case is expected to go to higher courts, and you can bet I'll be watching it closely.  God gave US these children.  We will raise them.  No way am I releasing them to a stranger bus driver at 8:30 in the morning, not to see them again until 4:00 p.m.  That is insane.  They may as well be sent off to a boarding school.