Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Pouring Life In

My day was along the line of Alexander's. A terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day. Don went on a job interview for an $8.00/hr job, which pays no benefits. What are you doing, God? What are you doing? I surely don't get how any of this could possibly further your kingdom. We're out of the book of James, and reading and rereading Matthew 6. Then we're going to read in Exodus about how God made his people go three days without water, and then came to their thirsty rescue in a miraculous way. And it wouldn't hurt to read about the Red Sea again. That miracle takes the cake.

Emily had a speech evaluation at the school she will be attending. She didn't answer much of what was asked, even though she knew 95% of it. It was a beautiful room, with a large window overlooking a pint-sized playground. She was in awe, and very disinterested in the test. I tried telling the speech therapist that she knew most of what was asked, to no avail. The teacher wanted to hear it from Emily (I get that, I guess). Not surprisingly, the evaluation pointed to just an average receptive vocabulary, and a slightly delayed expressive vocabulary. It also pointed to apraxia of speech, which is quite serious, potentially (an oral motor-planning issue). I know she doesn't have this, since she imitates quite well at home now, and is adding words at an amazing pace. Goals were written based upon this evaluation, which is just plain silly. Oh, well. The class itself will be wonderful, even if the speech teacher is way off base. She'll get to know Emily well enough within a few months, and I'm sure she'll rethink her diagnosis. She will work with Emily every Wednesday one-on-one for a short time; Emily will attend the class every Wed. and Thurs.

So much more, and some blessings to count, but I have an 8 a.m. appointment. Let me just say that Emily Rose is the love of my life! She is just pure joy. Thank you, God! I love all my children with my full heart, but right now, that Emily is really pouring life into my soul. Does that make any sense?

1 comment:

Evenspor said...

You would think that someone used to evaluating children of that age would expect them to perform differently with the tester in an unfamiliar environment than they do at home with their own parents. I would think that would be pretty normal.