Friday, October 9, 2009

diversity in one family

Personalities.  It's amazing how varied they can be in the same family.

Timothy:  Vomited for over 24 hours with nary a complaint.  He suffered in silence--his mood unaffected.

Rosey:  Started with a fever in the middle of the night.  Smiled at me as I soothed her.  This morning, in her big-girl, helpful way, she made a point of telling me, goodnaturedly "I've got my bowl, Mommy."  (Mommy requires that everyone walk around with a bowl when vomit is on the horizon.)

Daniel:  Started with a fever and one vomiting incident in the middle of the night.  I went in to help him, and he offered in a loud voice, "I'm going to die!  I can barely move!"  After several other demands and grouchy utterances, he came up with, "Will I be able to watch TV like Timmy did?  But the couch isn't big enough for both of us!  Can I pick the movie?"

I stand in awe of their uniqueness, and sometimes feel overwhelmed while trying to meet their diverse needs.  Diversity is beautiful, however.  God's design is flawless.