Sunday, September 13, 2009

obsessions

The Holy Spirit really got to me yesterday, and then again this morning.  I'm afraid it's related to helping Timothy self regulate his computer and TV screen time.   I can't teach him with any integrity if I don't first start regulating my own problem with the screen.

TV isn't a problem for me; I only watch Fox News as I do my late-night kitchen cleaning. That's it.  And it isn't blogging or reading blogs that trips me up.

IT'S E-MAIL!  I check my e-mail more times than I can count.  It has become a nervous habit, probably mostly associated with checking for comments after blog posts.  It's so nice when people comment, ya know?

However, this checking obsession takes my focus off of very important pursuits; namely, properly loving my family--with the "love" being a verb.

As with any temptation, God always provides a way out.  I have disabled any new commenting on this blog.  If you need to contact me, my e-mail address is listed in the "about me" section.  Setting the blog up this way makes it far less likely that I'll check my e-mail multiple times.  Composing an e-mail is a lot more work than adding a comment to a post, so I know people probably won't bother, unless it's important.

I feel so silly having to do this, but I don't think the Holy Spirit is giving me an option.  Thanks for all the help you've sent through comments...and the love.  Both have meant a lot to me!

So, I hope we're still friends.  Okay?  I like to comment on your blogs, so I'll still do that.  And Liz, please start that blog!