Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pengwnss

Dear Daniel,

I used to have this first grade student who would always add letters to the end of words, if he thought the finished word didn't look long enough. I got a kick out of it. He grew out of it as he approached conventional spelling in second grade They weren't random letters he used, just duplicate ending-sound letters.

You remind me of that student, who is now probably about twenty years old. Wow! That makes ME feel ancient! Anyhow, I was just going through today's work, and I got a kick out of this entry:

I like pengwnss. They swim in the woter. They wodol. They hav becss. They hav fliperss.

Translation: I like penguins. They swim in the water. They waddle. They have beaks. They have flippers.

Keep on writing! You've asked me a few times when you can have your own blog. We plan to do year-round school, so this summer I'm going to start you on a keyboarding tutorial, and after you know a little about typing, I'll have you set up your blog.

In the meantime, you can keep sharing mine!

I hope you get a kick out of these entries someday. One can certainly sense your passion for nature and animals!

All My Love,

Momma

No comments: