Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Natural World

Romans 1:20
..since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made...

Daily life is hard right now for many people. The number of family-related homicides is alarming. First it was one per week, then a few per week, then one per day. This weekend, it has become more than one per day. Most of the perpetrators have histories of instability, and like the rest of us, they have typical complications and frustrations going on in their lives. Adding a recession or job loss to the typical complications makes tragedy more likely.

I have contemplated requesting an anti-anxiety med for myself during this period of upheaval. However, doubting whether such meds are compatible with nursing, I've resisted making an appointment.

Instead, what helps me tremendously is getting in touch with the physical world. The above passage tells us that the physical world proves God's existence.

When I see the bulb flowers blooming, and look forward to the dozens and dozens of tulips our previous owner planted, I am uplifted. I am assured that tomorrow brings something new and glorious.

When the promise of a new day spills through the window in the form of sunlight and chirping birds, I am propelled forward - a smile on my face.

When the spring weather brings out energy-filled, happy-go-lucky children, I'm under the spell of their laughter.

When my son's newly-caught frog croaks in the wee hours, I am reminded of carefree summer days - my children dancing around the sprinkler, running after butterflies, insects, frogs - sporting only bathing suits and Popsicle-stained mouths.

As I'm driving around, passing green fields, daffodils and ponds - catching the sun's rays just right - I'm filled with peace.

God is always there, his glory displayed before me.

When life gets this messy, and prayers go unanswered, my mind begins to doubt his very existence - but only until I look out.

My prayer this Sunday morning is that we will all go outside, and let God's glory overwhelm us. Out there, we find joy, hope and promise.

No comments: