Monday, February 25, 2008

Ear Plugs Anyone?

We go to a large non-denominational church in Akron, not far from a university. Since my husband works Sunday mornings, Sunday night is our only option for attending as a family. Saturday services are offered in another town, but it's a thirty minute drive. Turns out that Sunday night happens to be the progressive slot with LOUD, HARD, Christian rock music. Ear plugs anyone? Seriously, the volume is concert level. The pastor is as witty and as talented a speaker as we'd find anywhere, but the music is just too much. I love Contemporary Christian Praise , which is only found at the morning services. But, I've experienced getting three young children to morning church on time, by myself, and I have to say, I'd rather give up chocolate for the rest of my life than do it again. Say what! Give up chocolate? Yes, I really mean it. I'll deal with the concert-style smoky stage, and the piercingly loud hard rock music, thank you very much. It's actually more relaxing than getting my troops to church without help. LOL

Anyway, as I was sitting there, in the balcony, looking down at all these college kids, my eyes welled up with tears. Those kids were loving the music. While it didn't work for me, much, it was speaking volumes to them. I could clearly see and feel their obvious love for their Savior. Moving doesn't begin to describe it. The university experience is chock full of worldly temptation, and here are these kids spending their Sunday night in church, yelling their hearts out to Jesus.

I just stood there and prayed - "God, may that be my children some day. May they love you and praise you with as much passion, or more. Cover over my multitude of parenting failures, and lead my children to pursue you with all their hearts, all their souls and all their minds. In Your Name, Amen."

No comments: