Tuesday, January 6, 2009

An Inspired Plan?

Last night I wrote about my poor devotional-time discipline. Today, as Anna Grace peacefully nursed and I enjoyed this welcome pause in my day, it came to me that devotional time doesn't have to include only the Bible. I have to admit to a bit of snobbery about my prior inward insistence that the Bible, the Living Word of God, is the only acceptable source for devotions. While I still believe it is the best source, there is certainly room for the somewhat-seasoned Christian to branch out for the sake of variety, or so it seems to me. Therefore, my plan for this year is to read the Bible on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On Tuesday and Thursday I'll read The Message. And on Saturday and Sunday I'll read Our Utmost for His Highest (Oswald Chambers). Also, I will write in a prayer journal on Tues, Thurs, and Sun, which will ensure I'm committed to wider-reaching prayer. I may even record on my blog how I'm doing with this plan, for extra accountability.

I feel relieved to have dealt with this matter, since my sleep-deprived state only lends itself to sloppier devotional habits. If there was ever a time I needed a concrete plan, it is now.

1 comment:

Jess said...

glad you've gotten a plan. i can safely say that i am in the same boat. this is an area i have definitely struggled with..not having the discipline and sometimes feeling the duty rather than the delight. it'll come around again. the more time put in for quiet times with the Lord, even if it is in the duty attitude, will cross over to delight once more. thankfully the Lord is patient with us and willing to love on us and teach us in the big moments and the small.