Saturday, August 16, 2008

My Apology

Several posts ago I wrote about John McCain and referred to his infidelity in a way that definitely smacked of throwing stones. I did the same regarding Bill Clinton's. I want to apologize for offending anyone. I grew up in a family that was torn apart by this sin, so it's one that is very hard for me to process and/or to forgive. I definitely have forgiven my father, but I still hate that this is so accepted in our society. I indicated awhile back that I did not enter marriage as a virgin, which means that I, too, (when a non-Christian) engaged in sexual sin. I had no right to throw stones in such a way. Again, I am sorry for having offended anyone.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Almost all of us have done things we're not proud of, and it's hard to talk unemotionally about a topic like adultery without sounding like you think it's fine! It's also hard to be unemotional about a situation that shaped your childhood. Anyway, though, I didn't think your post was out of line. :)

Susher said...

You did NOT offend me at all. I only commented to you because I think that we all need to stop sometimes and consider a bigger picture. Sometimes that helps us to move beyond our own experience and pain so that we are more able to extend grace and forgiveness. Sometimes I wish we could all walk a mile in the shoes of somebody who has committed a sin that we think we never would/could. What amazing insight we would gain, and how humbled we might be. That is all I was trying to convey. Again, I was not offended ... not in the least. But you have nevertheless shown a very humble and lovely spirit by offering up an apology. I totally respect and admire you for that.