Saturday, July 12, 2008

Blue Gill as Pets?

We see my dad about once a month or so. Yesterday he called out of the blue, wanting to take the boys to the mall to ride the merry-go-round, followed by early evening fishing. They were gone for about six hours, which is longer than I'm usually away from them. I missed my live wire, life-of-the-party little buggers.

Me, sitting with the boys while they ate a snack: "Boy, I missed my handsome, happy little guys!"

Daniel: "You did? I was having such a good time that I forgot to think....."

Me: "That you forgot to think about me?" I finished his sentence and then laughed heartily.

Daniel: "I'm sorry! Did I hurt your feelings? I only forgot about you until the end."

Me: "Oh, no, my Love! You didn't hurt my feelings. You caught your first fish! I'm so excited for both of you!"

Daniel: "Jesus must have helped this time."

Timothy: "No, Jesus doesn't help us catch fish."

Daddy: "Jesus can do anything. He can even help us with small things, like catching fish."

Me: "I'm sure you boys are becoming very good fishermen; that helped you too."


Daniel, my nature lover, doesn't fish to gather food. This is his third fishing trip, and we've discovered that he expects to keep his fish as pets. Not wanting to break his heart, we now have three small blue gill in an aquarium out back. What in the world we'll do with them, I don't know. Feed them our old goldfish food, I suppose. Hope Jesus helps with this dilemma. Knowing Daniel, he'll be praying his little heart out that they'll live. That little guy is a boy after Jesus' heart. It becomes more evident every day. His unfailing, enthusiastic devotion reminds me of David from the Old Testament. I almost gave him that name, instead of Daniel. Guess I should have gone with my first instinct.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

This was such a sweet post. I love praying that Isaiah will grow to be a man after God's own heart too.

You can point out to Daniel and Timothy that in the Gospels, even though many of the disciples were fishermen by trade, the only time they ever catch fish (in the Bible, at least) is when Jesus tells them where to put down their nets, like in Luke 5 or John 21. (My pastor always thinks it's pretty hilarious to point out their apparent lack of fishing skill.) So it seems Jesus loves to help fishermen catch fish.