Monday, January 21, 2008

Musings On Writing As Art

I started this blog a little over a month ago. My intention was to write nearly every night, after the kids were asleep. Many posts formed in my head during those early weeks, but now, not too many during a week's time. I'm not discouraged, but I do think I should start taking notes when the kids say something cute, or when I have a fleeting, but new thought on parenting, aging, teaching, family, marriage, or on my relationship with God.

I'm so task-oriented by nature, and so busy right now, that I probably need to be regularly praying for inspiring, pen-worthy topics. I want to write so that my children have a unique window into their childhood, but also to record original, worthwhile thoughts or ideas. Words that would somehow uplift, support, or change for the better, someone's heart, mind-set, situation, or even just their current mood. I want my words to have true meaning, true worth. And topics like that don't flow forth everyday, or even every week. And I guess I have to be okay with that.

But I do need to do my part and take notes. I'm sure every writer, or in my case, wanna-be writer, must do the same. Otherwise, doesn't the everydayness of life, the mundane and the repetitive, crowd out the artist? Or must the artist learn to turn the mundane into art?

No comments: